The Catholic presence at the heart of Punta Gorda, since 1929. The first celebrated Mass at the new Sacred Heart Church was 10 AM Christmas, 1929. The church seated 125 parishioners. The little church was replaced in 1965.
Consecrated on Jan. 25, 1896, as the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd. The church began as St. James Mission in 1892 when Mrs. Virginia Trabue, wife of Isaac Trabue, founder of Punta Gorda, requested Bishop William Gray to organize Episcopal services in the young town. For sixty-six years it was a mission. Albert Gilchrist donated the site and Mrs. Samuel Colt, contributed the funds to construct the building. The Colt’s only son, Caldwell Hart, drowned in 1893 and this tragedy may have increased Mrs. Colt's interest in the local church. The name of the church was changed at her request and she added a beautiful Tiffany chancel window in memory of her son. The original structure circa 1919 served until 1980, when a new building was erected at another location.
A one-story frame vernacular residence featuring an H-shaped plan with two forward facing steeply pitched gables. The roof is clad with 5Vcrimp metal and foundation is concrete block piers. A one-story rear addition projects from the east elevation centered between the gables. Based on workmanship and materials, the addition appears to be circa 1930. The exterior fabric is a drop tongue and groove siding. Fenestration is double-hung wood sash windows with two over two lights. Very few houses of this vintage and construction remain hence its architectural integrity is to an unusually high degree. 8CH1769 and 8CH1768.
One story bungalow residence features a low-pitched front-gabled roof with exposed beams and rafter tails as well as front facing and side gable extensions. It has a gabled entry porch supported by battered piers and is located along the south elevation wrapping around to the west where it meets a chimney. An irregular plan and is situated on a brick pier foundation. Exterior fabric is of simple drop siding and fenestration consists of double hung wood sash windows with four over one lights. The current owner, Clark Keller, is the second building located on the property which was once a part of the 160 acre homestead of David Youman. Clark Keller is currently restoring the house. Building has only been slightly changed hence integrity is of high level and makes the building a rarity in unincorporated Charlotte County. 8CH0409.
This building had been demolished at this writing in 2021. It served as a depot along the Atlantic Coast Line railroad. The parapet had a most distinguished characteristic with a prominent letter "C" displayed at the center. It also had a raised parapet along the north and south elevations. It had a dropped- hipped roof extending from the east and north elevations. The building was declared unsafe and slated for demolition in 2008 (P24 Southestern Archaeological Research, Inc.) 8CH1785
The El Palmetto Cigar Manufacturing Company was organized in 1891. On the southeast corner of Virginia Avenue and Cochran Street, a wood frame factory and a row of cottages for workers were built. Each building housed two families. In 1901 the cigar factory industry in Punta Gorda moved to Tampa and the buildings were sold to D. H. Huckeby, who moved this building to Brown Street. On October 25, 1924 Cleve Mays purchased the building for $50 and his stepdaughter, Mrs. Elnora Puckett lived in the home for many years. The building was purchased by Mike Nickelson in 1997. He donated the building to the Historical Society for placement in the History Park at 501 Shreve Street. In October 1999, this was the first building moved to the park.
PER LINDSEY WILLIAMS: The oldest known house in Charlotte Harbor town was built on Laura Street by prominent cattleman John Hagan. It is now owned and beautifully restored by Victor Larrison and suffered only a little roof damage. Damage inferred in this info is a result of Hurricane Charley, Aug. 13, 2004. ADDRESS OF THIS HOUSE.
The Catholic presence at the heart of Punta Gorda, since 1929. The first celebrated Mass at the new Sacred Heart Church was 10 AM Christmas,...
This prairie style home which originally had open porches was built for Edward and Nora Yeager in 1920. Their son E. Burnett Yeager was C...
Circa 1920 Over its history, this cottage built in the 1920s has served as the home to many Punta Gorda businesses including early on a f...
This house was built in 1887 by S. P. Hinkley who came to Punta Gorda with the lumber company that supplied the wood for the Hotel Punta G...