The central part of the house was built in 1887 by Col. Isaac Trabue as a community hall for school classes and church services. Methodist trustees bought the building in 1889. After the Methodists built a new church in 1917, Mr. W. M. Mayes bought the structure and moved it to the present location. Eighty years later, Mark and Cecelia Neese purchased the then condemned apartment house and during restoration discovered they were the owners of the original historic community center which included a church's sanctuary and chancel area. There is a bell tower in the rear.
Punta Gorda History Center Historic Buildings and and Site Records
4124 Taylor Road
In January of 1976, Harry Thomas and Virgil Felton presented the messages. An article appeared in the Herald on March 13, 1976 that read: “C...
-
This prairie style home which originally had open porches was built for Edward and Nora Yeager in 1920. Their son E. Burnett Yeager was C...
-
Circa 1920 Over its history, this cottage built in the 1920s has served as the home to many Punta Gorda businesses including early on a f...
-
This lovely historic home was built in 1924 as a manse for the vicar of the First Presbyterian Church, which was originally across the stree...