401 West Henry Street



Consecrated on Jan. 25, 1896, as the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd.  The church began as St. James Mission in 1892 when Mrs. Virginia Trabue, wife of Isaac Trabue, founder of Punta Gorda,  requested Bishop William Gray to organize Episcopal services in the young town.  For sixty-six years it was a mission.  Albert Gilchrist donated the site and Mrs. Samuel Colt, contributed the funds to construct the building.  The Colt’s only son, Caldwell Hart, drowned in 1893 and this tragedy may have increased Mrs. Colt's interest in the local church.  The name of the church was changed at her request and she added a beautiful Tiffany chancel window in memory of her son.  The original structure circa 1919 served until 1980, when a new building was erected at Henry and Shreve Street.  
    
The first image is believed to be one of the first known photos of the Church of the Good Shepherd taken shortly after its completion in 1986. The second is the church as it looked in 1920, looking north from Cross Street. This view shows the rear of the sanctuary as well as the famed Tiffany Glass window. 





4985 Duncan Road

 







A one-story frame vernacular residence featuring an H-shaped plan with two forward facing steeply pitched gables.  The roof is clad with five V crimp metal and foundation is concrete block piers.  A one-story rear addition projects from the east elevation centered between the gables.  Based on workmanship and materials, the addition appears to be circa 1930. The exterior fabric is a drop tongue and groove siding.  Fenestration is double-hung wood sash windows with two over two lights. Very few houses of this vintage and construction remain hence its architectural integrity is to an unusually high degree.  8CH1769 and 8CH1768.


4565 Duncan Road

 





One story bungalow residence features a low-pitched front-gabled roof with exposed beams and rafter tails as well as front facing and side gable extensions.  It has a gabled entry porch supported by battered piers and is located along the south elevation wrapping around to the west where it meets a chimney.  An irregular plan and is situated on a brick pier foundation.  Exterior fabric is of simple drop siding and fenestration consists of double hung wood sash windows with four over one lights.  The current owner, Clark Keller, is the second building located on the property which was once a part of the 160 acre homestead of David Youman, a citrus grower.  Clark Keller is currently restoring the house.  Building has only been slightly changed hence integrity is of high level and makes the building a rarity in unincorporated Charlotte County.  8CH0409.


27525 Cleveland Avenue







This building had been demolished at this writing in 2021.   It served as a depot along the Atlantic Coast Line railroad.  The parapet had a most distinguished characteristic with a prominent letter "C" displayed at the center.  It also had a raised parapet along the north and south elevations.  It had a dropped-hipped roof extending from the east and north elevations.  The building was declared unsafe and slated for demolition in 2008. (P24 Southeastern Archaeological Research, Inc.) 8CH1785


South East Corner of Virginia Avenue and Cochran Street /501 Shreve St., History Park


The El Palmetto Cigar Manufacturing Company was organized in 1891.  On the southeast corner of Virginia Avenue and Cochran Street, a wood frame factory and a row of cottages for workers were built.  Each building housed two families.  In 1901 the cigar factory industry in Punta Gorda moved to Tampa and the buildings were sold to D. H. Huckeby, who moved this building to Brown Street.   On October 25, 1924, Cleve Mays purchased the building for $50 and his stepdaughter, Mrs. Elnora Puckett, lived in the home for many years.  The building was purchased by Mike Nickelson in 1997.  He donated the building to the Historical Society for placement in the History Park at 501 Shreve Street.  In October 1999, this was the first building moved to the park.  


133 Marion Avenue - Merchant’s Bank

 



In 1913 the Merchant's Bank was erected and later changed the name to First National Bank.  After its failure in 1931 during the Great Depression, it was occupied as a medical office for many years by Dr. Walter Clement*.  In the late 1980's it was remodeled for a private home and later it was reconverted for office use.  In addition to its neoclassical columns and faux pediment facade the original vault and marble bank lobby remain intact.  The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places #8CH230.  

*Dr Clement championed and was one of the founders of the first hospital in Punta Gorda.  A 22 bed hospital opened in August 1947. He was president of the Rotary and of the SW Florida Medical Association. 


213 West Olympia Avenue


 J. K. McClelland built this two-story structure during the boom years of the  1920's.  Hollow tile, a fired brick smaller than that used today, shows in portions of the building.  Mr. McClelland used the space for a bookstore.  Both new and used schoolbooks were sold here on consignment after WWII.  Sundries included old postcards for collectors and many other odds and ends.  Mr. McClelland built and lived in the house next door with his wife and children.  When the two-story space was needed for another business in the 1950's the left-hand part of the downstairs was used as a garage for a hearse, and the right-hand space was a casket showroom and an office for the funeral personnel.  The second floor space was divided into living quarters and rented to winter visitors.  

In the early 2000s,  the Pressellers purchased the building and operated a popular delicatessen and gallery. Later it was occupied by several restaurants including Table 209, Carmelo’s, and Mint Thai.  


756 Marion Avenue




The Florida Land and Improvement Corporation was formed in 1881 and registered in Jacksonville, Florida.  In 1883 the Consolidated Ice, Refrigerating and Fish Co. purchased the land and built this "Dusk to Dawn" one room house.  Workmen came in at dusk and went back to work at dawn.  The one room had a fireplace to rest for the night.  The fireplace is still intact.  By 1924 a second story and more rooms on the ground floor had been added. The house was partially restored in 2000 and was flooded in 2001.  


507 West Marion Avenue - First United Methodist Church - Site of Trabue Community Hall


The Methodists were the first to organize a congregation in Punta Gorda on July 3, 1887.  Early services were held in the Community Hall* at this site on Marion built by Colonel Isaac Trabue early in 1887. The original Hall served as a church for multiple denominations. The Methodist congregation purchased the property for a sanctuary in 1889 for $250. In 1910 a hurricane badly damaged the Community Hall building and forced the congregation to plan for a new structure.

In February 1913, J. Heid and Major Wells donated 40,000 bricks from the old power house, an abandoned ice factory on Berry Street.  The church shell was finished on June 1, 1915.  Despite the lack of windows and interior fixtures, the building was used immediately by the congregation. Later that year stained glass windows were installed and the interior was finished as funds became available.  It is estimated that the church cost approximately $10,000 to build.   

*Lindsey Williams' in a 1993 newspaper article, indicated that the original Community Hall structure was the second  building to be constructed in Trabue, Punta Gorda.  Part of the building that was the original sanctuary was discovered to have been moved in 1914 and incorporated into a large  home being renovated at 233 Harvey St.  The remnant of the old bell tower, choir loft and sanctuary were identified after a storm when the interior walls were stripped.  


326 Marion Avenue






or 


Punta Gorda's first city hall was a one-story concrete block building erected on this site on land deeded by Virginia Trabue, aged widow of the town's founder, IsaacTrabue, in return for abatement of taxes and life tenure of her nearby home.

The neoclassic design is dominated by a full height porch with a roof supported by classic columns.  The building was extensively damaged during Hurricane Ian and is still undergoing repairs a full year after.


130 Marion Avenue





    This replica of a turn of the century street clock replaces the public clock that was originally over the First National Bank entrance.  When the First National Bank failed, the clock was moved to the Punta Gorda State Bank at the southwest corner of King Street and Marion Avenue.  That bank became First Florida which moved to a new building.  The clock was then sold to a bank in Wauchula, FL.  Funds for the present street clock were raised by concerned citizens in 1990 when negotiations to buy the original clock back proved fruitless.  Chimes ring on the half hour and hour.  *See National Bank Building.

Tamiami Trail

 C:\Users\punta\OneDrive\Pictures\Sunset CoC:\Users\punta\OneDrive\Pictures\Sunset Cottages 1941.jpgttages 1941.jpg